Most days we will see a news article or have a conversation with someone about the environment and the concerns surrounding the health of our planet. At Belu Life we really considered the huge impact that the fashion industry has on the environment when we were creating our first line and did everything we could to minimise our impact. We use recycled materials to create our clothes and have made them durable so that you aren't having to buy new pieces often. But with so much information available out there, it’s often overwhelming to think of what we can do personally, in our everyday lives, to make sure we minimise our impact on the planet. We’ve put together a few simple, sustainable changes that we all practise at Belu Life to help the environment, with the hope that you might be able to make some additional changes too:

Minimise using single-use plastic items

Although many plastic items now say recycle on them, only 10% of these actually end up being recycled - the other 90% are thrown in the bin and sent away to either be burned or dumped. So what can you do to help? By making simple swaps such as investing in a durable water bottle instead of buying plastic bottles, carrying a reusable shopping bag with you rather than paying 10p for a plastic one at the shop, or using bamboo/steel straws rather than plastic will help reduce these statistics.

Shop locally

The food found at your local supermarket has often been flown thousands of miles to get there. By supporting local farmers and buying meat and fresh produce locally, when possible, you will be reducing your carbon footprint. Additionally, try to buy fruit and vegetables that are in season. Not only will they taste better, but they require far fewer resources to grow and keep in storage, making them more sustainable.

Minimise food waste

Every year food waste ends up in landfills where it rots and releases methane - a greenhouse gas, which contributes to the 36.6 billion tonnes released into the atmosphere per year. If we stopped throwing away food we’d save at least 36 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions. By planning your meals, making shopping lists and storing food properly, you can prevent having to throw away your food. Not only will this save the environment, but it will also save you money!

Cut back on disposable household Items

So many household items are disposable - paper towels, batteries, razors, foil, cling film. The list goes on! All of these can be swapped out for more sustainable items. Look for reusable alternatives such as cloth towels, rechargeable batteries, razors with replaceable blades, baking sheets and beeswax wraps. The initial purchase of the more eco-friendly items will likely be more expensive, however as they will last you a long time, in the long run, they will save you money. 

Buy sustainable clothing

Fast fashion has a huge impact on our environment and causes masses of water pollution, textile waste and landfill waste. Instead of constantly buying new, cheap clothes, consider investing in high-quality, sustainable garments that will last you a longtime. If you want to find out more about fast fashion, we wrote a whole blog about it a couple of weeks ago that you can check our here: https://belulife.co.uk/blogs/news/fashioning-a-better-world


Final Thoughts

By incorporating these simple, sustainable swaps into your everyday life you can contribute to a healthier planet for everyone. It’s the collective effort of individuals that will drive a positive change, so by starting small and speaking to your friends, family or work colleagues about how we can help, you can make a huge difference! If you want to find out more about what Belu Life are doing to be as sustainable as possible, have a look at our “sustainability” page on the website: https://belulife.co.uk/pages/sustainability 


Need some help to decide which sustainable, eco-friendly products you could buy? We’ve put together the following list, which are all favourites here at Belu Life:

April 05, 2024 — Bethan Trussell